Bowles was established as a charity for young people in 1964.
Bowles is located near Tunbridge Wells on the site of a natural south facing sandstone outcrop which offers superb rock climbing.
The Outdoor Centre has developed steadily over the past 50 years and now boasts accommodation for 130 plus a wide range of outdoor activity facilities:
• 2 ski slopes • sandstone crag • heated indoor pool • archery • bushcraft • ropes-courses • roundhouse • we run mountain biking and canoeing at nearby rivers, lakes and woodland
We are passionate about the impact of outdoor learning on young people and about supporting young people to achieve their potential. We also have lots of fun and adventures along the way!
Our average feedback score for achieving clients’ aims throughout 2015 was 95%
Specialising in outdoor learning
Areas where the centre specialises and has a long history include residential outdoor education courses for schools and groups, team and leadership development, and as a snowsports centre.
- The Bowles Rocks Trust is a registered charity, no.305968, which supports children and young people to achieve their potential through outdoor education.
- The Bowles Organisation (TBO). This subsidiary of BRT covers our work with adults, including Learning and Development programmes and recreational courses.
The trading surplus from TBO is used to subsidise our charitable work.
We divide our work into 4 main sectors:
- Education – Courses for schools, colleges and university students
- Youth & Community – Developmental courses for youth and community groups, many participants are disadvantaged, have disabilities or special needs
- Learning and Development – Courses in team and leadership development for organisations and individuals
- Recreation – Outdoor activities, for the local and the sporting communities
Our People: We are proud of our dedicated team of staff and volunteers.
Bowles as a Venue
Bowles is a unique and beautiful place on the Kent/ Sussex border. We have our own majestic sandstone outcrop and some lovely facilities and buildings. Not least of these is our hall, it was inspired by Maria Zum Schnee, the chapel at the base of the Matterhorn
We have two accommodation blocks, the Dorm and the Lodge. The Dorm sleeps 104 in 6 bedded rooms. The Lodge sleeps 16 as singles, 24 with 8 doubles and 36 with additional beds. The Lodge accommodation is all ensuite.
We can seat up to 70 people for a meal, we also have a licenced bar on site. Our Lodge has 5 separate meeting rooms, all with wi-fi access and one with a projector. The lecture hall/chapel is a versatile, relaxing space and has a screen and a projector.
Whatever your requirements, we will try our best to help. Some of the events we have hosted in the past include:
- training days
- yoga retreats
- film venue (incl. Dr Who, Maleficent, Sightseers, Discovery Channel)
- product placement (Ford and Subaru amongst others)
- committee meetings
- town twinning dinners
- wedding receptions
- school re-unions
- language schools
- inset training days for teachers
Please give us a call and we’ll see if we can help you.